Veterans Disability Lawyer Site
Quick guide to VA Disability Benefits
Veterans Compensation
Veterans Pension
Disability Process
VA Disability Hearings
New Law on Lawyers
VA Individual Unemployability
Duty to Assist
Service Connection
How long Does a VA Claim Take?
Gulf War Veterans
PTSD New Rules
Call Lawyer Today
Get VA records
Agent Orange Presumption
NJ VA Compensation
NY VA Compensation
PA VA Compensation
CA VA Compensation
Vermont VA Benefits
NC VA Compensation
VA Benefits TX
FL VA Compensation
OH VA Compensation
GA VA Compensation
From Apply to RD
Disability Case Evaluation
Resource Links

How to Get VA Records

How to Request or Find VA Service or Medical Records

How to get your VA claim file and service medical records.

There are a few ways you can get your claims file and service medical records. Here I will explain how you can get your claims file often referred to as your C-file and your service medical records also called SMRs. One of the biggest mistakes many veterans make when applying for veterans compensation benefits from the VA is that they never request their claims file and service medical records. In fact, even if you do not have a claim for VA compensation or pension you should get a copy of your records as soon as possible. It is highly recommended that you request a copy of all of your records as soon as you leave service if not why you are still in service. One of the biggest roadblocks in a VA compensation claim can often be lost and missing service medical records.  You can request your claim file and service medical records a few ways.  You can request them directly from the National Personnel Records Center.  You can request a copy of your records from the nearest VA Regional Office.  You can call 1-800-827-1000 to find the closest VA Regional office to you.  If you have a lawyer or representative you can have them request your records for you.  VA Regional offices, lawyers and representatives will have the consent to release form needed to get your records.  You may also have to request records from medical facilities directly if there is treatment you recieved not found in the file you get from the VA.

Free Case Evaluation


Why do you need your VA claim file and service medical records?

Even if you leave military service in fairly good health you never know when a medical condition you were treated for inservice might become a bigger problem later in life. If you have a traumatic experience in service, it is very common for veterans to develop post-traumatic stress disorder also referred to as PTSD. These signs and symptoms and diagnosis of PTSD can occur many years after service. If you have a copy of your military records when you leave service and they document a traumatic experience than if you do later develop PTSD you already have the evidence you need to possibly verify the incident that caused the PTSD without having to worry about the VA or military losing these records if you tried to get them at a later time. The same can be said for other medical conditions you were treated for in service that might reoccur or cause other medical problems later in life. If you did not get your records when you left service then you'll want to requests your service medical records and C file when or if you actually have a claim later. If you have been denied your VA compensation or pension claim you will certainly want to request your claim file and service medical records at this point. The earlier you request your records, the sooner you will get them and be able to see what the VA is looking at when deciding your claim. This is important because you may notice that there are records missing from your file that could be helpful to your claim. Also, if you decide to get a lawyer to help you with your claim after you have been denied you will be able to provide these records to your lawyer so he can review your case without the lawyer having to take several months waiting to receive them. The VA processes is long enough and anything you can do to speed up that process you will want to do, and having a complete claims file with service medical records allows for you or your lawyer to review the information and decide what else is needed to win your claim. Remember, all claims are won and lost based on the evidence that is in your file so to give yourself the best chance to win you must know what's in your file and what is not.

Lost or missing records from your claim file or service medical records

First of all, you should never accept as fact that the evidence you requested is missing, lost or unable to be found. I have seen many veterans that received a letter from the VA telling them that the records they have requested cannot be found or that more information is needed to find the requested information. In many cases, further requests for the missing records often lead to the records being found. One of the keys to giving yourself the best chance to find records the VA says is missing is to be as specific as possible about the records you are looking for. Dates, locations, names of people you served with, the unit you served in, your commanding officer, name and address of a hospital and any other details may make the difference in whether the missing information is found or not. The VA has a "duty to assist" to help you find all of your records, but take it upon yourself to provide as much information as you can that will help in locating the evidence you are seeking. A lawyer or representative can sometimes be very helpful in locating lost records. Your congressmen can also be a good source to help you find missing evidence from your military file.

So what do you do if you still can't find the missing evidence after numerous attempts.

If the VA or military has lost your records then oftentimes you can still win your VA compensation case if you can find substitutes or other evidence that the event or treatment occurred. One way you can do this is by the use of a buddy letter or several buddy letters. If you served with people who knew about the situation or treatment you can seek them out and ask them for a letter explaining their knowledge of the situation. You can also often times use the evidence that is in your file to show that an event occurred or perhaps medical treatment was performed. Sometimes you may have to dig even deeper and show evidence such as e-mails or letters sent home, pictures, or even news articles or information found on the Internet. What evidence you need will depend on your particular case and the evidence that is missing.  You sometimes have to get creative. One situation that occurs frequently is in the situation where abuse or sexual trauma is not reported or in your records. In this example, a drop in performance, difference in behavior, request for transfer, or even drug and alcohol use that did not occur before the incident can be used as evidence the traumatic event occurred. It is not possible to write on this web-page allthe possibilities, but my hope is that you will not accept the fact that you can't win your case because certain evidence is lost or unable to be found by the VA.  There is a "heightened duty" when the records held by a federal institution are missing or destroyed. Washington v. Nich Olsen 19 Vet. App. 362, (2005).

If you were denied and don't know how to get your VA records or they are missing or lost call us we are VA compensation lawyers that can help at 1-877-527-5529.

We have attempted to provide up to date and accurate information, however the information in this site is not guaranteed. No attorney client relationship exist. The information in this site is not a substitute for consultation with a qualified attorney.
©2007-2017 by Kazmierczak & Kazmierczak, LLP. All rights reserved.